Animals such as the coyote and whitetail deer are most active in the evening, early in the morning and at night. Therefore, the best time for deer hunting is late in the evening or early in the morning.
Unfortunately, visibility is usually very low in the evening and the morning, making spotting a whitetail difficult. And most times the moon just isn’t enough. It is for this reason that hunters have turned to night vision binoculars for help.
Unlike night vision goggles, the best night vision binoculars help you find moving targets easily, but more on this later.
Before settling on a pair of best night vision binoculars, there is a lot you need to know. For starters night vision binocular models differ in their capabilities and functions.
As such, not all night vision binoculars are suited for your intended task. In this article, I want to help you find the right binoculars to suit your needs.
Like the best birding binoculars under 100 review, I have compiled a list of some important factors to consider when buying a binocular as well as reviews of 9 of the best night vision binoculars for hunting. But first let, here is a comparison chart to show you how different models differ.
Night Vision Binoculars Buying Guide
I have done my fair share of night vision binocular shopping. And there are several things I have learned over the years about these all-important devices. So, here are my top tips on How to Choose the best binoculars for night vision.
What Are You Buying It For?
Before you settle on a night vision binocular, you have to first ask yourself, what am I buying it for? If you want to be using your binoculars for a wide array of applications, go for versatility.
For example, if you are a hunter who fancies bird watching versatility will be key. I advise seeking a binocular that can operate both during the day and at night. You will save money by buying one binocular you can use for daytime bird watching and night time hunting. Also, since you will be spending a lot of time with your binocular an ergonomic design will be key.
What Is The Ideal Size?
Binoculars come in all sizes and prices such as budget binoculars under 200. And when you are shopping for one you have to be keen on size. Obviously, it is practically impossible to cram night vision technology in a small binocular. Therefore, a night vision binocular will be a bit heavier than your average binocular. In my experience an 8X50 mm binocular is ideal. This is especially if your target is 100 yards away from you.
Night vision technology is classified into four generations, first, second, third and fourth. If you are on a budget there some pretty amazing first gen binoculars with built-in IR. Second gen and third gen binoculars are more expensive than first gen and deliver a better and brighter viewing experience. Fourth gen is the most expensive and most efficient. Thus, it all depends on what you are able and willing to spend.
Hunters are exposed to harsh weather conditions and so are their equipment. As such, hunting gear should be able to survive the occasional downpour. A good night vision binocular should be waterproof. Also, the construction should be tough enough to withstand the occasional knock and bump.
Night Vision Binoculars VS Goggles
Unlike other night vision devices, night vision binoculars and goggles are unique in that they have two lenses for viewing through. But which between the two devices is better. The night vision binoculars vs. goggles debate is one that will not end soon. While some people prefer the binocular others prefer the goggles.
For all intents and purposes, the two devices offer the same experience. However, night vision binoculars offer the added advantage of image magnification. This makes them ideal for long range hunting. Goggles, on the other hand, have an edge in regards to flexibility. For hunting, I would pick a night vision binocular due to their long-range viewing.
9 Top Night Vision Binoculars Review
Best Night Vision Binoculars for the Money
Night vision binoculars are not the cheapest tools out there. However, thanks to the wide variety of options available, you cannot miss a quality pair of night vision binos on a tight budget. One of the best night vision binoculars for the money is the Bestguarder NV800.
Bestguarder NV800 7X31mm Digital Infrared Night Vision Hunting Binocular
- 1). LARGE 2" VIEW SCREEN: Build In 2 inch TFT view screen, Resolution of Screen:320*240,comfortable to your eyes; Can be used as a live Infrared surveillance camera connecting TV with TV cable or connecting Computer with USB cable;
- 2). WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE AND OUTSTANDING OPTICAL CLARITY: High performance digital night vision binocular with 7X magnification, 2X digital zoom and a 31mm Objective Aperture,Wide field of view, 1/4 CMOS vs image-intensifier tube;
- 3). LONG VIEWING DISTANCE RANGE: Built in 850NM 3W Infrared Illuminator for up to 1300ft/400m viewing distance in full darkness; Day or night use(with IR off for daytime color); Date and time can be stampted on photo or video；
- 4). LONG CONTINUOUS RUNTIME: Up to 6 hour continuous runtime with IR illuminator on or 14 runtime without IR, Operates on 8 AA batteries (not included) and power bank(not included), no worry the battery drain out for the long time monitoring；
- 5). USER FRIENDLY INTERFACE: Built-in Menu with 11 languages; Replay function, easy to view photo or view on devices directly;IPX4 Water resistance; tripod mountable(1 tripod Jacks).
Last update on 2023-05-16
The Bestguarder NV800 7X31mm Digital Infrared Night Vision Hunting Binocular is a device that deserves the top spot on any Night Vision Binoculars for the Money list. Described as a handheld viewing system, this binocular sports a large 4-inch screen with a 320 by 240-pixel resolution. The screen offers fantastic edge-to-edge viewing. One of the binoculars strongest selling points is its ability to record still photos and store them in a micro-sd. This means it can be used for both hunting and birdwatching. And that’s not all, thanks to a video output port you can connect it to your computer or even TV.
- Has a large TFT screen for comfortable viewing
- It is a versatile binocular and has a wide range of applications
- The built-in Infrared performs excellently for up to 200 yards
- It is ideal for long range and can view objects for up to 300 yards
- It is only suitable for long-range viewing and does not perform well in close range
- Does not come with the battery included
Being one of the best digital night vision binoculars for the money, this unit can be used for hunting as well as for bird watching. And thanks to its built-in IR it is best suited for long range hunting at night. If you are looking for something to help you walk at night while hunting this is not it. It is thus best suited for hunting in a blind or an elevated position where you sit and wait as you scope your surroundings.
Best Night Vision Binoculars for Under $1000
Splashing thousands of dollars on a night vision binocular is not always a good idea. This is especially when there are some excellent options in the under $ 1000 price segment. The Night Owl Pro Nexgen Fixed Focus binocular is one of the top notch night vision binoculars under $ 1000.
Night Owl Pro Nexgen Fixed Focus Night Vision Binocular (2.5x)
- Package length: 24.384 cm
- Package width: 18.288 cm
- Package height: 9.906 cm
- Product Type: BINOCULAR
Last update on 2023-05-16
When it comes to night vision binocular brands Night Owl is right up there with the best. Nonetheless, I was still a bit skeptical about buying the Night Owl Pro Nexgen Fixed Focus Night Vision Binocular. After all, the latter costs almost half the price of the Night Owl Pro Nexgen. However, my Pro Nexgen Fixed Focus night vision binocular has turned out to be quite a useful tool. As a fixed focus binocular, it is built for quick target recognition and identification. And while it is not as hi-tech as its pricier brother, it still delivers some fantastic images while being compact.
- It is a compact binocular that is easy to carry
- It is designed for fast target recognition
- It is waterproof and durable
- Comes with a comfortable neck padded neck strap
- There is no manual focusing
- It is not suitable for long-range viewing
- Being a first gen binocular there are others that deliver a better viewing experience
If a compact and pocket-friendly binocular for night time hunting are what you are looking for, this is the right binocular for you. However, if you are looking to invest in a night vision binocular for long-range viewing it might not appeal to you. In spite of this, it is still a great piece of optical hardware especially considering the price. In fact, it could very well be the Best Night Vision Binos for Under $1000.
Night Vision Binoculars Under $500
If you are on a budget, spending more than $500 on a binocular will not be practical. Fortunately, Bushnell has some great options in it’s under $500 catalog. One of which is the Bushnell Lynx Gen 1 Night Vision. In my opinion, it is the best night vision binoculars for under $500 from Bushnell.
N.B. If you are not willing to spend more than 300 then these selection of the best binoculars under 300 is best for you.
Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 Night Vision Binocular, 2.5x 40mm
- Quality optics with stunning HD clarity
- 100% quality materials used and tested extensively
- Beautiful design and durability built to last
- Gen 1 Night Vision binocular with 2.5x magnification and 40mm objective lenses
- Built in Infrared Illuminator for long distance viewing up to 90 yards
Last update on 2023-05-16
Another first gen night vision binocular that is worth your consideration is the Bushnell LYNX Gen 1 night vision binocular. Sure, Bushnell is one of the most known names in the optics industry, but this is not what makes the LYNX special. No, that accolade goes to its construction. Overall, it is a lightweight binocular covered with an anti-slip rubber. This makes it easy to hold for long periods of time. Furthermore, it is water and weatherproof meaning you can use it in the harshest of environments.
- It is an affordable binocular
- It feels very sturdy and well built
- It is lightweight
- It is weather resistant and waterproof
- Has an ergonomic design
- Cannot zoom in or out
- Cannot be used during the day
The lynx is a great binocular especially since it is one of the best binoculars for under $ 500. However, it will not appeal to people looking for a versatile day and night binocular. But it will appeal to hunters looking for an affordable and compact binocular for night hunting. The features of this binocular make it a great option for hunters who are always on the move when hunting.
Firefield FF25023WP Tracker LT Waterproof Night Vision Binocular
- Waterproof design
- Protected from rain and dust
- High quality gen 1 image and resolution
- High power built-in infrared illumination
- dual tube design provides better depth perception
Last update on 2023-05-16
If there is one thing that the Firefield FF25023WP Tracker LT Waterproof Night Vision Binocular, is known for is its ruggedness. In fact, few night vision binoculars are as rugged as this unit. Its ruggedness and exemplary water resistance make it the preferred choice of military personnel and hunters alike. As with other first gen binocular, this unit comes with a built-in IR and 2X of magnification. And at first this magnification doesn’t seem all that impressive, but when you use it, the 2X magnification makes sense.
- It is one of the most rugged units out there
- It is easy and clear to focus
- The built-in infrared guarantees better viewing at night
- It is only good for hunting purposes
Considered one of the top night vision binoculars for under $500, this Firefield unit has a lot to offer. In particular, it will appeal to hunters who spent most of their hunting time in harsh weather conditions. Thus, while it might not be suited for other applications such as birdwatching, it excels when used for hunting and other demanding applications.
Military Night Vision Binoculars & Goggles
Some night vision binoculars and goggles were designed with the military in mind. In fact, some are actively being used by the military. However, these binoculars and goggles are not reserved for the military alone as they have been made available to civilians. The two best military night vision binoculars & amp; goggles are;
Superior Tactical PVS-7 Night Vision Goggle Gen 3 Blem Spec
- Waterproof Goggles
- Mil-spec Compliant Housing
- Weather resistant
- Can be used hand-held or mounted
- 2 Year Warranty
Last update on 2023-05-16
True to its brand name, the Superior Tactical PVS-7 Night Vision Goggle Gen 3 Blem Spec is a night vision device of superior quality. According to the manufacturer it is built for tactical situations. Whether this is true or not, there was no denying its superior quality, craftsmanship, and ruggedness. A generation three night vision device, the Tactical PVS-7 is a high-end device that might be out of the reach of some. Nonetheless, its rugged design and lightweight construction make it a premium device for any serious hunter.
- It is completely waterproof and weather resistant
- Built to standard military requirements
- It can be used hand-held or mounted
- It uses third generation night vision technology
- It is quite expensive
- It does not come with a headgear
Is it expensive? Yes, but is it worth it? Definitely. Thus, if you want to invest in a serious piece of night vision hardware this is the device for you. It is made to military standards and will serve you well. And given that it is one of the best military night vision binoculars & amp; goggles, it is well worth it. If you are on a strict budget this device might feel a bit out of your reach.
PVS-7 3P - Night Vision Goggle
No products found.
Lightweight, great resolution, easy to use; these are some of the adjectives I can use to describe the PVS-7 3P - Night Vision Goggle. I recently got the opportunity to test out this bad boy on a cloudy night with a full moon. And even with its built-in IR illuminator turned off I was able to see leaves and other vegetation from 50 yards. But what really impressed me about this night vision goggles is how comfortable they were. I did not experience any eye fatigue, which is always a big plus in my book. Also, I did not notice any distortions when using this goggles.
- Has a compact waterproof housing
- Comes with a carrying case
- It is made to military standards
- Comes with a head mount for hands-free use
- Features easy to use controls and an ergonomic design
- It is quite expensive
- You may notice some lagging when adjusting the optics
Needless to say, I had fun when testing out this night vision goggles. But who is it for? Well, this is not an easy question to answer. This device offers all the features you would need from a night vision device. However, due to its price, it may be more suited to serious hunters looking for a rugged and reliable instrument to use when hunting at night. Additionally, given that it is one of the best night vision binos for wildlife it is also suited for wildlife watching at night.
Night Vision Binoculars for Wildlife
Wildlife watching is an activity best enjoyed at night when most animals are most active. To make the experience more enjoyable it is wise to carry a pair of night vision binoculars. There are many night vision binoculars out there but not all are suited for wildlife watching. The top notch night vision binocular for wildlife watching needs to be compact and have a wide field of view. One such binocular is the Night Owl Pro Nexgen night vision binocular.
Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular (3x)
- Generation 1 technology; central focusing; integrated infrared all-glass optics
- Field of View: 70 feet at a distance of 200 feet
- Minimum Focus Range: 6.6 feet
- Interocular Distance: 2.27 to 2.95 inches
Last update on 2023-05-16
Another Night Owl binocular that is a great choice for night hunters is the Night Owl Pro Nexgen Night Vision Binocular. Unlike the other Night Owl binocular on this list, this one has a 3X magnification. However, everything else is the same as that of the 2.5x magnification one. As such, this is a compact and lightweight device that scores high in all the right places. Thus do not let its first generation status fool you. With its image intensifier tubes, it can be your trusted companion for night hunting.
- It is compact and lightweight
- Has a central focusing mechanism for ease of adjustment
- Comes with a 200 ft field of view
- Offers 40 to 80 hours of battery life
- It is easy to adjust the optics
- Is not suited for long-range viewing
- Lacks a focus adjustment of different ranges
Similar to the other night owl unit, this device is suited for on the go usage. Its lightweight and compact design make it the top night vision binoculars for wildlife watching. And the fact that it is has a reasonable price attached to it is a bonus especially for anyone who is new to binoculars.
Best Night Vision Binoculars For Hunting
When it comes to hunting, the best night vision binoculars for hunting needs to be rugged, durable and ergonomic. While almost all night vision binoculars are built to be rugged, the one that excels at it is the Sightmark Ghost Hunter 2x24 Night Vision Binocular.
Sightmark Ghost Hunter 2x24 Night Vision Binocular
- High Quality Image And Resolution with 2x Magnification
- Close Observational Range Of Focus and 1/4" Socket For Tripod
- High Power Built-In Infrared Illumination
- Ergonomic Design And Quick Power-Up
- Lightweight And Durable Composite Body
Last update on 2023-05-16
The Sightmark Ghost Hunter 2x24 Night Vision Binocular is a monocular with a lot to offer. One of the things I loved about it was its weight. It weighs less than 9 ounces making it one of the lightest night vision devices out there. But its weight is not its only selling point. The buttons are conveniently located on top of it making them easy to access. In low visibility, I found that it was easy to access the control buttons. Another awesome thing about this monocular is the ¼ inch sockets at the bottom. With this socket, you can mount it onto a tripod or even on your favorite weapon.
- Has a lightweight and comfortable design
- Comes with automatic shut off feature to protect it from light
- Can be mounted on to a tripod or a weapon
- Has close observational focus range
- Has a decent field of view
- Comes with only 2x magnification
- The IR is not as good as that of some of its competitors
What I really like about the Sightmark is its versatility. It can be used as a standalone device or it can be paired with a weapon for improved flexibility. This is what makes it the best night vision binoculars for hunting. So, while its magnification and objective lens are not that impressive it gets the job done. In a nutshell, it is the perfect companion for anyone looking for a versatile but affordable night vision device.
Best Digital Night Vision Binoculars for Hunting
There are some night vision binoculars that come with digital components such as the ability to capture still photos. These binoculars can be used for hunting especially at night. Of the various binoculars with digital components, the best digital night vision binoculars for hunting is;
Digital Night Vision Binocular for Hunting 7x31
- ★★★Large Dynamic Wide Screen Brings You Full View And Eyes’ Comfort: 2" TFT display Screen, convert to 4" large viewing screen by the convex lens. built in excellent ALL-OPTICAL BINOCULAR SYSTEM with a video camera. The 320*240 resolution color wide LCD screen Display provide you easy to watch, quick capture the perfect photo or high definition video.
- ★★★HIGH PERFORMANCE NIGHT VISION: Night Vision Binocular with 1300feet/400M night vision range, bulit in 2" TFT LCD screen. 5mp photo & 640p Video Recorder Camcorder.
- ★Patented filter makes OUTSTANDING OPTICAL CLARITY: with 7X magnification, 2 digital zoom and a 31mm objective lens, takes picture in darken night (640*480pixel) and 640*[email protected] video. Built in 850NM Infrared Illuminator for up to 1300 ft/400m viewing distance in full darkness; Day and night used; Date/time can be stampted on photo or video.
- ★For: hunting&scouting game / security and surveillance / search and rescue / camping fun&exploring caves / nighttime navigation / night fishing and boating / wildlife observation, etc.
- ★DATA STORAGE AND VIDEO PUTOUT Capability: Rechargeable Battery(not included): 8 *AA, lithium, alkaline or NI-MH Battery; provides SD card slot and the maximum capacity is 32G(no included, include a 4G Micro SD Card). Can be used as a live Infrared surveillance camera connecting TV with TV cable.
Last update on 2023-05-16
One of the most hi-tech binoculars I have had the privilege of testing is the Digital Night Vision Binocular for Hunting 7x31. The latter boasts of wide-angle 2 inch LCD screen, which I found to have a pleasant and clear viewing experience. Its design is also a plus as it is designed to be easy to grip complete with rough gripping points on the side. Apart from viewing through this binocular, you can also record photos and videos. For surveillance purposes, it comes with a port for connecting to either a computer or a TV.
- Delivers outstanding optical clarity at night
- Has an adjustable eyepiece of eye comfort
- Can run for up to 6 hours with the IR illuminator turned on
- It is water resistant
- It does not come with the battery included
- It is quite heavy
In my opinion, this is one of the Best Digital Night Vision Binoculars for Hunting, its powerful magnification delivers great optical clarity. And its price tag does not disappoint. It is thus an ideal option for night time hunters on a budget. Its advanced optics and features make it ideal for capturing photos and thus ideal for wildlife lovers.
A night vision binoculars is an important investment for any serious modern hunter. And there are many categories of them to choose from. For individuals on a budget finding a top notch night vision binoculars for under $1000 is always the goal. The binoculars listed here are some of the best in the under $1000 price point. In conclusion, there are many things to consider when buying a night vision binocular all of which are highlighted above.
About The Author:
Lake Streeter, A Gun enthusiast, and loves to hunt in the middle of the wood. Always check the latest hunting gears out in the market and try to share his honest opinion with the audience in OUTDOOR EVER.